Today, Wednesday, October 24 is National Food Day. If anyone was paying attention, exactly one week ago was World Food Day which is a day renowned by beauty queens as the day to end world hunger. But in all seriousness, it is an issue and the Center for Science in the Public Interest took it a step further to come up with our own National Food Day to further develop its importance.
Food Day focuses on 5 core priorities:
- Promote safer, healthier diets
- Support sustainable and organic farms
- Reduce hunger
- Reform factory farms to protect the environment and animals
- Support fair working conditions for food and farm workers
So you see it is much more than just ending world hunger. It’s about improving the system as a whole. To put it in a nutshell:
“Food Day is a nationwide celebration
and a movement for healthy,
affordable, and sustainable food.”
So what can you do on this day of celebration? Well, we are having a healthy potluck at work today for one. But there are all sorts of things you could come up with.
- Have a dinner party. Focus on healthier foods. Discuss where the food came from and how it got to your table.
- Watch a food industry related movie. Try Food Inc., Fresh, King Corn, Super Size Me, Weight of the Nation, Fast Food Nation, etc.
- Check out a Farmer’s Market in your area.
- Take a cooking class.
There are all sorts of things you can do to promote Food Day in your life and in others. Check out www.FoodDay.org for more information and ideas, even recipes!
—Christina Molinski, MS, RD—